close print view
Expedited Application Review InformationExpedited Application Reviews for Construction Permits for Sewerage Systems to Serve the Public
In accordance with Part 41, Sewerage Systems, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended, the construction of any new or alteration of an existing sewerage system to serve the public is required to receive a construction permit from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). In accordance with Part 41 (Section 12), the DEQ is providing, for a fee, an expedited application review process for construction permits. The following is a link to Section 12 of Part 41:
A summary of the expedited review process is provided below, along with the address for required contacts with the DEQ.
Expedited reviews are authorized for eligible applications submitted through
If you have questions about the expedited application review process, please send an e-mail to DEQ-Expedited-Permit@michigan.gov.
Eligible projects shall be limited to one of the following:
See the table under item 4 below for specific details of eligible projects and associated fees. Please note that an expedited review will not be conducted for a project that is being funded by the state water pollution control revolving fund created in Section 16a of the Shared Credit Rating Act, 1985 PA 227, MCL 141.1066a.
Expedited Part 41 Permit Application Submittal Process
1. Submit electronic notification of intent to request expedited review to DEQ-Expedited-Permit@michigan.gov.
2. Submit a completed electronic Part 41 permit application, in PDF file format, to DEQ-Expedited-Permit@michigan.gov at least 10 business days after submission of the initial notification described above.
3. On the same date as the electronic Part 41 permit application (described in 2 above) is submitted, a completed paper copy of the Part 41 permit application (postmarked with the same date as the electronic application was sent) with original signature along with two complete sets of construction plans and specifications that have been prepared, signed and sealed by a State of Michigan licensed professional engineer, shall be submitted to the appropriate district contact. District contact information may be found be clicking on the link below:
4. On the same date of the electronic Part 41 Permit application submittal described in 2 above (i.e., the mail submittal shall be postmarked on this date also), appropriate payment of the fee shall be made either by credit card (credit card payment form and instructions - be sure to specify project name on the form); or in check form, payable to the State of Michigan. The check and a copy of the cover page of the permit application shall be submitted to:
The expedited review fee is based on the following fee structure:
5. If the applicant fails to sign the Part 41 permit application, submits construction plans and specifications that have not been prepared, signed and sealed by a licensed professional engineer, or submits an insufficient fee, the DEQ will notify the applicant within 5 business days of the deficiency. The application will not be processed until the deficient items are addressed. If the applicant does not provide the deficient items within 5 business days after notification by the DEQ, the application will be handled as described in item 6.
6. If application deficiencies exist, other than those described in 5 above or if deficiencies exist as described in 5 above and are not corrected within 5 business days of notification to the applicant, the department will not conduct an expedited review and shall keep the original fee amount. The applicant will be notified of the application deficiencies. Upon receipt of this notification, the applicant may correct the deficiencies and resubmit the application and request expedited review based on the following:
7. The DEQ shall review and make a decision on complete applications submitted with a request for expedited review within 10 business days of receipt by the department of a complete application. However, if the department waives the notification requirement of subsection (4)(a) of Section 12 of Part 41, the department shall review and make a decision on the application within 20 business days of receipt of a complete application.
The DEQ will notify applicants electronically of decisions regarding expedited review requests. If a permit is issued, the DEQ will send a PDF copy of the signed permit to the permittee electronically, followed with the paper copy via regular mail.
Michigan.gov Home DEQ Online Services Permits Programs Site Map Contacts Office of Regulatory Reinvention Spending & Accountability
Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan