close print view
Board of State Canvassers to meet August 16, 2006 at 10:00 a.m.
- - NOTICE - -
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE BOARD OF STATE CANVASSERS WILL CONDUCT A HEARING ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16, 2006 AT 10:00 A.M. IN ROOM 426 OF THE STATE CAPITOL, LANSING, MICHIGAN.
Included on the Agenda will be:
- Acceptance of testimony on the arrangement of ballot wording for the five statewide proposals identified below:
- HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION Z: Adopted by State House July 14, 2004; adopted by State Senate December 8, 2004. Would establish the Conservation and Recreation Legacy Fund, the Game and Fish Protection Trust Fund and the Nongame Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund within the State Constitution.
- DOVE HUNTING REFERENDUM: Referendum on PA 160 of 2004. PA 160 of 2004 authorized an open season for hunting mourning doves.
- SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION E: Adopted by the State Senate December 13, 2005; adopted by the State House December 13, 2005. Would amend the State Constitution to restrict the power of state or local government to take private property by eminent domain for certain private purposes.
- EDUCATIONAL FUNDING GUARANTEE: Legislative initiative to amend the State School Aid Act.
- STOP OVERSPENDING: Proposed amendment to Article IX, Sections 24, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32 and 33 of the State Constitution. (At this date initiative petition filed by sponsoring organization remains under review.)
- Such other and further business as may be properly presented to the Board.
Christopher M. Thomas, Secretary
Board of State Canvassers
-- Please Note --
The hearing is being conducted to extend interested parties the opportunity to offer their views on the content of the proposals.
Anyone wishing to submit background information on the proposals for consideration by the Board members in advance of the hearing should direct the materials to the Michigan Department of State’s Bureau of Elections no later than Friday, August 11, 2006.
Michigan Department of State
Bureau of Elections
P.O. Box 20126
Lansing, MI 48901-0726
Richard H. Austin Building, 1st Floor
430 West Allegan Street
Lansing, MI 48933
It merits emphasis that the August 16 hearing is being scheduled to accept testimony on the arrangement of ballot wording only; a subsequent Board meeting will be scheduled for the adoption of the wording.
Questions regarding the hearing should be directed to the attention of Bradley S. Wittman of the Bureau of Elections. Phone: (517) 373-2540. Email: <Wittmanb@Michigan.gov>.
A person may address the Board on any agenda item at the end of the hearing. A person who wishes to address the Board on an agenda item at the time the item is being discussed must submit a written request to the Chairperson of the Board prior to the opening of the meeting. Persons addressing the Board are allotted three minutes.
People with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in this meeting should contact Lydia Valles at (517) 241-4662 (voice) or (517) 241-4320 (TDD) one day in advance to request mobility, visual, hearing or other assistance.