close print view
Board of State Canvassers to conduct a hearing on Aug. 25
- - NOTICE - -
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE BOARD OF STATE CANVASSERS WILL CONDUCT A HEARING ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 25, 2006 AT 1:00 P.M. IN THE GOVERNOR’S ROOM LOCATED ON THE 2ND FLOOR OF THE LANSING CENTER, 333 EAST MICHIGAN AVENUE, LANSING, MICHIGAN.
Included on the Agenda will be:
- Canvass and certification of the August 8, 2006 primary.
- Consideration of WinEDS v.3.1.038 Election Management System Software and Optech Insight Optical Scan Tabulator v.APX K2.10/HPX K1.42/CPX K1.14 submitted by Sequoia Voting Systems of Oakland, California for approval for use in Michigan.
- Report on review of qualifying petitions filed with the Secretary of State for the November 7, 2006 general election.
- Assignment of ballot designations to statewide ballot proposals qualified to appear on the November 7, 2006 general election ballot.
- Determination of ballot wording for the four statewide proposals identified below:
- HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION Z: Adopted by State House July 14, 2004; adopted by State Senate December 8, 2004. Would establish the Conservation and Recreation Legacy Fund, the Game and Fish Protection Trust Fund and the Nongame Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund within the State Constitution.
- DOVE HUNTING REFERENDUM: Referendum on PA 160 of 2004. PA 160 of 2004 authorized an open season for hunting mourning doves.
- SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION E: Adopted by the State Senate December 13, 2005; adopted by the State House December 13, 2005. Would amend the State Constitution to restrict the power of state or local government to take private property by eminent domain for certain private purposes.
- EDUCATIONAL FUNDING GUARANTEE: Legislative initiative to amend the State School Aid Act.
- Such other and further business as may be properly presented to the Board.
The staff’s proposed ballot wording for the four statewide proposals listed above will be released on Wednesday, August 23, 2006. The proposed ballot wording will be available on the Department of State’s website after its release www.michigan.gov/sos.
Christopher M. Thomas, Secretary
Board of State Canvassers
A person may address the Board on any agenda item at the end of the hearing. A person who wishes to address the Board on an agenda item at the time the item is being discussed must submit a written request to the Chairperson of the Board prior to the opening of the meeting. Persons addressing the Board are allotted three minutes.
People with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in this meeting should contact Lydia Valles at (517) 241-4662 (voice) or (517) 241-4320 (TDD) one day in advance to request mobility, visual, hearing or other assistance.